What's Growing On at Easy Pickin's Orchard?
*UPDATE* 2/20/21: winter season goings-on ...
* Pick-your-own, CSA & summer-farmers'-markets for 2020 are now just a memory --
we hope you got a chance to come out this year, and we thank everyone who showed up
to show us some love & support for local farming & food !
It was an interesting & challenging year, both for weather & "wellness," but we made it,
and you-all are the reason !
* RIGHT NOW: We have autumn veggies stored in our coolers & cold cellar,
and we're starting to pick winter veggies -- mostly greens -- in our high-tunnel greenhouses.
* Where are we selling ?
Mostly from the farm house at present (see details on our SHOP page),
since the Ellington Winter Farmers' Market is done for the 2020-21 season.
* What can you get from us right now ??
FRESH-FROZEN BERRIES: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries
VEGGIES: see the SHOP page for up-to-date offerings !
* winter squash (butternut, kabocha) & a few sugar baking pumpkins;
extra-ordinary spuds (a few varieties)
* carrots, daikon radishes, rutabaga, kohlrabi
* European cabbages: green, red, & purple Savoy
* greens: rainbow Swiss chard, kale mix & occasionally spinach --
not every week, but we offer them for sale when we have enough to pick. Watch for them !
In the time of COVID-19, we're working to make sure you can enjoy our fresh produce safely;
we'll post a few rules you need to know if you're planning to come see us at the farm.
Check Us Out at These Farmers' Markets !
Suffield Farmers' Market: ** done for the season **
Saturdays: 9am - 12noon - June 20 thru Columbus Day Weekend
Suffield Town Green - Corner of South Main & Mountain Road
Coventry Farmers' Market: ** done for the season **
Sundays: June 7 through October 25 -
pre-orders & pick-up by appointment
Nathan Hale Homestead - 2299 South Street, Coventry
Click on this link for the Coventry Farmers' Market website.
Ellington Winter Farmers' Market:
Saturdays, 9am - 11am
Remaining dates: 12/19, 1/9, 1/23, 2/6, 2/20
Ellington High School, 37 Maple Street (Route 140)
For More Information:
Links to more info on these & other local farmers' markets:
CT Dept. of Agriculture: About Farmers' Markets
CT Dept. of Agriculture: Listing of Farmers' Markets
CT Grown (UConn Extension's "Farm to Community" program)
& see more about CT's "Locally Grown & Produced" items here !
When you come to Easy Pickin's Orchard, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Cash or check preferred: at the farm *&* farm markets, especially for smaller purchases. But YES, we can accept credit & debit cards.
No pets please in our food growing & production areas -- state regulations.
Please use our wagons for produce only -- they are not safe for children. If you bring small children, we welcome you to bring your own strollers or wagons to take them out picking with you.
We live on a QUIET, RESIDENTIAL STREET; our neighbors have kids & dogs; so do we. PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY & with CAUTION - 25mph or less. We appreciate it!
Keeping Us All Safe & Healthy at Easy Pickin’s:
Pick-Your-Own & Farm Stand Rules
KEEP IT CLEAN: Stop the Spread of Germs !
* We’re being careful to keep things clean & sanitized; help us by doing your part.
* Wash your hands BEFORE you start picking & shopping here; the sink next to the Port-a-Pot, with soap & paper towels, is for you to use.
* Don’t leave trash/litter in the field or parking lot, or at the stand. Show a little love & respect: use our trash cans, or take your trash home.
Give EVERYONE Plenty of Space – at least 6’ !
* At the STAND, the signs & cones will help you keep your distance from others. Families checking out should have ONE person stand in line while the rest move away from the stand to reduce crowding.
* While you are PICKING or anywhere in the field / orchard, give OTHER folks plenty of room. And keep your group together, especially kids; make sure your kids don’t wander close to other folks.
WEAR A MASK: So We Can All Breathe Easier !
* At the stand, and whenever you are within 6’ (SIX FEET) of other people, you MUST wear a mask that covers your mouth & nose. This applies everywhere on the farm. We will do the same for you !
CONTAINERS: For Your Picking & Purchases
* You may bring your OWN bags, boxes, & other containers from home for your picking & purchases, as long as they are CLEAN; we also have bags & boxes for your use.